Thursday, March 12, 2015

Take one silk scarf....

I spied a pretty silk scarf at the Oak Bay United Church Rummage Sale...
buried deep in a bin brimming with garish and gaudy polyester scarves. It was like finding a needle in a haystack!



A "no name", silk, hand rolled printed in a Liberty-esque pattern.
A small versatile square in a neutral tan and black combination and for the bargain price of $2.00 how could I pass it up?


I learned this scarf tie from the fabulous blogger Faux Fucshia
You can see how easy it is...






leave the knot a little lose until you thread the two wnds through the knot then tighten it







"Expect the unexpected" ~ mixing up colours and stripes.



I like to use this cowboy tie under a jacket or coat.


Casual and unfussy this is the way I usually wear my silk square scarves.


Vintage silk scarves can be found in thrift and charity shops,
online on etsy or ebay.
You needn't spend a lot of money or break your budget when purchasing a silk scarf.
And however you choose to wear them they do add a dash of colour and interest to an outfit.
Tie one on your handbag as a nod to Babe Paley if you like...

“You can never be too rich or too thin.”
~ Wallis Simpson The Duchess of Windsor ~

For the garden enthusiasts...
I'm working on the Glass House Post from Graham's Garden walkabout and I'll post it soon.



17 comments:

Marie-Thérèse said...

I LOVE this scarf on you. As you might expect, I'm a bit of a scarfoholic (it's in the blood). I really need a separate armoire for just my scarves.

Black and tan is one of my favorite color duos. You look lovely in it. It's also one of my favorite knots -- casual chic. "Oh, my Dear, I just threw it on this way."

Cheers, M-T

Lorrie said...

What a great scarf find! It looks great on you in every variety of knot.

Sandra Sallin said...

OK. more importantly, howdidyou take the photos? Long arms?

Jennifer said...

Great find!! You do have amazing luck finding the quality items. I love the combo with the stripes!!

The Vivenne Files said...

Brilliant! I love to see a good pattern mix. You've got an eye for the best things...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sounds like we both are passionate about scarves!
I'll be volunteering at The local Orchid Society show this weekend and the lat time I was a volunteer I wore one of my Hermes scarves and I got so many compliments...funny thing though was another volunteer said she thought about wearing a scarf but fiddled with it for a long time and gave up...she mentioned that it looked like I just threw it on...!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The Church sales are such great sources for treasure!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I actually have rather short arms but I did extend them to capture the image!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Gosh and I am envying your new designer clothes...shopping with all those delightful women must have been such fun!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Janice I am thrilled that you stopped by...pattern mixing is tricky isn't it?
My daughter has a real gift in finding the best things...I think I learned from her!

Anonymous said...

Duchess of Windsor quote, not Babe Paley. Nice scarf though!

Susan B said...

What a great find! That scarf will coordinate so well with your wardrobe.

A Lovely Inconsequence said...

I really love that scarf Leslie. It never ceases to amaze me what patterns we can put with good old French stripes!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Synchronicity Shopping was really working for you when you found that pretty scarf. Very nice color and pattern. It will look pretty with so many of your blouses. I admire your talent for scarf tying.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you I have amended my post!

KSL said...

Great find, and it does look wonderful with the stripes. Not a fan of the quote.

Duchesse said...

What a pretty scarf. That Wallis Simpson quote represents a view I cannot endorse nor admire.