Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sea Ray Summer ~ Friday Harbour

While we were moored at Roche Harbour Marina we decided to spend the day exploring Friday Harbour on San Juan Island. We'd been there before, many years ago, once by boat and once via the Clipper and remembered that it was a quaint historic town with a large grocery shop and many small and interesting stores.
The Washington State ferry docks at Friday Harbour and there is a very large Marina adjacent to where the ferry comes in...if we were staying longer we would have cruised into the harbour and stayed for a day or two to provision.



It was a really hot afternoon and we wandered about for over an hour before ducking into a shady patio for something cold to drink and a bite to eat.



Crab cakes for The Hostess!
(minus all the mayo)


We found a bamboo salad bowl set with a First Nation design in the little kitchen shop.
They are made in Vancouver BC!


Mr. HB spied them and mentioned that if we could find somewhere to stow them that we should purchase them for our boat.
As we were paying I said "Happy Anniversary!"
Our 41st to be exact.


We did take time to relax...
we read our books and wandered along the dock peeking at all the boats.


Easy meals...our "Picky Plate."
(when it's too hot to cook we nibble and "pick at" an assortment of things)
That's Maytag Blue Cheese...made by the son of the Maytag Empire and only available in the US.
We try to buy some each time we go south as it is delicious...
I love it sprinkled on a green salad...
a little goes a long way.


Coffee and foamed milk...
 a good way to savour the start to the day.


My OOTD
Black Yoga capri length pants
a white linen Lands End Tee
Sperry Shoes and an "old as the hills" Eddie Bauer straw hat.

I don't dress up much on the boat.
It's comfort all the way!

The winds were strong Gale Force in all the nearby Straits so we chose to stay another night.
We were up bright and early the next morning and scooted across Haro Strait in our SeaRay before the predicted winds rose up again...





I love the hues of blue and mauve in the petals of this hydrangea.

The garden is shaping up nicely with an energetic and dedicated garden helper on board.
I'm so grateful for an extra pair of hands...
you know that old saying 

"many hands make light work."
~ John Heywood ~

And speaking of hands
 a reader has brought me some of those fabulous Playtex Living gloves from the states.
(which I think is so exciting!)
I'm going to meet up with her this week and visit her new home on Salt Spring Island.

I love the kindness and generosity of people in the blogging community.
I've had great opportunities to meet new people and make connections.
It's something that I never expected...

Thank you!

7 comments:

Susan B said...

What a fun adventure! We sometimes have one of those "picky" dinners too, in fact we may tonight. :-)

Susan said...

Your espadrilles look pretty spiffy! I would call those dressing up on the boat! I'm glad you were able to travel safely.

Jennifer said...

What a fun time!! We love Friday Harbor. There's a fabulous Lavender farm just outside of town. I love your espadrilles too!
Coming up the last weekend of August. Will you be around? I love to see you.

Lorrie said...

Great days for boating! Love the espadrilles and the casual dressing on the boat. Picky plates are the way to go when it's too hot to cook. I love lazy meals like that, especially on the boat.

Anonymous said...

From Margie in Toronto - what a lovely spot and those bowls are wonderful! I so envy you being able to live on the water - at least part time. A friend and I drove to Snug Harbour yesterday in Port Credit and had lunch - it's on the lake rather than the ocean but it was still lovely. :-)

Carolyn in Redmond said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! I too love Friday Harbor but don't have the luxury of arriving in our own boat....I imagined how fun it would be when I looked at that photo out the back of the boat:)))) Such fun.

marmielu said...

Looks like a very nice time! Very relaxing. I love all your pictures.
We have a hydrangea like that in our back yard. It's so different, and always fascinates me when it blooms.